Why Having a Personal Domain Name is Essential
- Search Engine Rankings: With the world of the web run by Google, Yahoo and Bing, having your own domain automatically places you higher in search engines for your name and in many cases on the first page.
- Professionalism: Having your own domain name and email address provides a higher level of professionalism and trust. If you have your own domain name vs. some long hotmail.com address it instills a higher level of integrity.
- Brand Recognition and Recall: How much easier is it to remember firstname.lastname@example.org than Joe356TX@gmail.com. More importantly, every email you send is your name. If folks can recall your name when they think of a need they have, you are more likely to get a referral or a sale.
- Same Email Address Forever: This one is a no-brainer. You can now keep your email forever even if you change your ISP or hosting provider. Your domain stays with you as long as you pay the hosting fee every year. The other added benefit is that jobs may come and go, but your personal email address will always be the same.
- Security: Even if you don’t plan to do anything with the domain other than redirect it to your LinkedIn profile, secure it so no one else can. Especially if that person could be some worthless celebrity, convict or questionable politician. Remember, very few folks look past page one on Google.
- Emails Free of Advertisement: The best thing about having your own domain and email address is you don’t spam your friends with ads with every email you send.
- Your Home Base on the Internet: If you ever decide to start you own blog or consulting business, you will have a URL you can immediately point your blog to and start promoting. Your blog becomes the hub of all of your social sites and drives everyone back to content you own forever.